Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hannah's Birthday!



The Birthday Girl Herself!




Last week we celebrated my roommate Hannah's 22nd Birthday. I do my best to make birthdays in our apartment special because if we don't make it that way for each other, who will? So I spent the day running errands and trying to get things together. The plan was dinner and a cake Hannah had requested weeks ago. This is how the cake conversation went . . .


Me: What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?

Hannah: Hmm . . I don't know. Surprise me.

Me: Okay seriously? I'm not going there, you're way too picky. Tell me a few options and I'll pick one.

Hannah: Ooooo you know what I really want? That I haven't had in years? There's this cake that my uncle's wife used to make that had like this whipped cream stuff on top of it and crushed up Milky Ways.

Me: Well, what was it called?
Hannah: Hmm . . Don't really know. My mom might.

Me: I'll see if I can google it.

Well luckily Hannah's parents came down a few days later to bring us a brand-new (to us) and fully functioning washer. So I asked Hannah's mom what the name of the cake was. And she just started laughing so hard she was hissing and got red in the face and said it was too embarassing to say . . . If you knew Debbie, you'd be laughing too. So then we're all laughing and she tells me the name. And then it clicks - Paula Dean SOOOO has that recipe in a book I have. So I go a hunting and find this.



Totally innocent but this cake was so good. Chocolate cake with condensed milk and caramel topping poured over it, topped with whipped cream, and Skor's bars (not quite milky ways). it was very good but more on that later.


This is the birthday surprise Hannah walked in the house to last Wednesday.


Red flowers and Mike & Ikes. Some of Hannah's favs! Along with a singing card that sang "Shine" by the Newsboys and an itunes card.

Some close-ups of the flowers.





We also enjoyed birthday dinner with hannah at our favorite restaurant here in town. It's called farmhouse and has some of the best comfort food you'll find anywhere.

Us at the restaurant celebrating!


Hannah's Birthday Cake before it was covered in candy. I'm not really sure why I decided to write on it. Probably for my own satisfaction. It didn't turn out very well though!

No comments:

Post a Comment